On November 3, 1998, Trinity and Wycliffe Colleges agreed to provide joint library services in the new John W. Graham Library. The agreement noted the many advantages of each party to maintain a common library facility, agreeing that since both Colleges aim to provide the best possible library services for their students and faculty, that jointly they could become the pre-eminent Canadian base for scholars of Anglicanism. In honour of the merger, a book plate design was commissioned by Gordon MacPherson. The original design is in the collection of the Trinity College Archives.
On September 25, 2018, the Trinity Archives hosted a visit from members of the Archives Committee of St. Mark’s Church, Niagara on the Lake. St. Mark’s presented a new volume entitled Ten 1785 Sermons from Robert Addison’s Library as a gift to Trinity from the editors Peter Babcock and Murray Wilcox. A missionary with the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, Addison (1754-1829) was the third Anglican missionary to be permanently settled in Upper Canada; his parish was the entire Niagara Peninsula plus the Six Nations Settlement on the banks of the Grand River. During the War of 1812 he saw his church burned to the ground, and he officiated at the funeral of Sir Isaac Brock. After the war he worked with John Strachan on a plan for public education in Upper Canada.
This calf-skin bound deluxe edition is a transcription of a manuscript of sermons found in the collection of the Addison Library at St. Mark’s. Trinity’s Jonathan Lofft played a role in verifying Addison’s handwriting to assist in addressing the question of the authorship of the sermons. This volume will be housed in the Graham Library’s Saunderson Rare Books Room and can be consulted by appointment at the Graham Library.